6/21/2011

Squasharoni

Here is what happens when your garden is overflowing with squash- everything you make has squash added to it.

What is that you said? You didn't know my garden was overflowing with squash? Well, that's because it isn't. For some weird reason I only planted one plant. I plan to rectify that problem. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to plant the seeds. Chances are that I will only have one plant this whole year. But IF my garden were overflowing with squash, this is how I would cook. And even though it's not, this is how I cook. Yes. Welcome to my life. Be glad I'm not responsible for feeding you. I make up a lot of recipes. Then I pretend like they're the real thing. Then I make my husband guess what he's really eating. Sometimes, he'd rather not know. But, as grudgingly as he may be to admit it, he likes healthy food, particularly when he doesn't know it's healthy.

This is like mac and cheese, but it's the vegetable version of mac n cheese. And it's really good!
I cooked the sauce in the crock pot, because it's a hundred degrees here. Literally. We definitely are not at the coast anymore.
3 crookneck or other yellow squash cut into cubes
1 onion cut into large slices
salt, garlic, and pepper
enough water to cover everything
It took about an hour and a half on high in the crockpot to get soft enough.

Then I threw it all in the blender and pureed it.

Transfer to a pan on the stove and heat till boiling. Turn off the heat then add 3 oz of cheese.
One of those brilliant facts that I never knew about- if you boil the cheese, it will curdle. Sometimes I wonder how I've survived in life so long without figuring these things out.

Once the cheese melts, you're done!

I put it over this pasta from Trader Joe's, because it's really good. And because then it's vegetables served on vegetables, which makes me laugh.

The finished product. Please excuse the hideous iphone picture. I was too hungry to mess with my camera. I am pregnant, don't judge me :)
                               

Phil says he's take this over normal mac n cheese any day! Pretty impressive for a vegetable hater. Charlotte loved it too, but that doesn't count for much since she eats everything in sight. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I love your blog! Too bad Justin would not eat that, maybe if I mixed it altogether with elbow macaroni. Love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete